Our History

Our History

1867   Adrien Céleste Pillon, a prie...
1880   Ercuis opened a shop in Paris ...
1886   On 15th November the Orfèvrer...
1888   The company rented premises at...
1908   The Société Nouvelle de l’...
1919   After the devastating blow to ...
1935   The Ministère de la Marine, t...
1937   On the death of Henri Maës, h...
1945   After the war Ercuis slowly be...
1969   Modernisation began at the Erc...
1978   Ercuis became a member of the ...
1981   When James B. Sherwood underto...
1986   Following the acquisition of a...
2002   Its partnership with François...
2004   In August a new office was ope...
2009   Parisian designer Alberto Pint...
2010   Numerous openings of luxury ho...
2011   Apostraphe flatware, created b...
2013   Ercuis elevates flatware to a ...
2015   The Italian group Arcturus, wh...
2017  

Launch of the Flatware GALE...

2018   Ercuis presents a new colourfu...

1867

Adrien Céleste Pillon, a priest in the small village of Ercuis in the French department of Oise, 50 kilometres to the north of Paris, founded a company specialising in “artistic silverware, relief enamel, copper and silver plating, gilding and wire drawing” which grew rapidly. A housing estate was built for workers and a supply of labour poured in.

1880

Ercuis opened a shop in Paris and gradually phased out religious gold and silver work to replace it with flatware and holloware. The village expanded significantly around the factory and workers’ housing.

1886

On 15th November the Orfèvrerie d’Ercuis and manufacturer Georges Maës signed an agreement and introduce the Centaur hallmark, until then the emblem of Monsieur Maës’ crystal works in Clichy. All Ercuis products still bear this hallmark today.

1888

The company rented premises at 65, rue de Bondy in Paris (now rue René Boulanger in the 10th arrondissement) which was to be used as a shop and for commercial activities. Production of flatware developed significantly along with holloware. The hotel sector provided a major source of clients: from the early 20th century Ercuis supplied the top hotels of the Riviera and the Basque coast.

1908

The Société Nouvelle de l’Orfèvrerie d’Ercuis was founded on 20th May and Henri Maës, son of Georges, was appointed a Director. This was a time of growth for the brand, which exported to Europe and countries around the Mediterranean. Renovation was undertaken at the factory, Ercuis housing was expanded and a workers’ mutual aid society was set up.  

1919

After the devastating blow to growth caused by the Great War, production got underway again at its pre-war rate in 1919. The years between the wars were marked by a creative impetus and the use of advertising as a promotional tool. The great international exhibitions of 1925, 1931 and 1937 fostered a profusion of new designs, as much in shapes and forms as in materials used, with blends of fine woods and metal.

1935

The Ministère de la Marine, the Compagnie des Chargeurs Réunis and the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique called on Ercuis to equip the tourist class of the ocean liner Normandie, whose maiden voyage from Paris to New-York will forever be remembered. The Ile de France and the Ville d’Alger were also equipped by the silversmith.

1937

On the death of Henri Maës, his brother Pierre took over until 1940 when Henri’s son, Paul Maës, became Director. The Second World War led to the same situation as the First: activity slowed down due to rationing and the Occupation.

1945

After the war Ercuis slowly began to rebuild. Little by little business recovered: Ercuis took part in the 1953 Foire Internationale in Brussels and equipped the France ocean liner in 1962.

1969

Modernisation began at the Ercuis factory, and continued until 1971. Charles-Henri Maës became Chairman & CEO in 1970. Designs became more contemporary. Citeaux cutlery is a product of this era.

1978

Ercuis became a member of the Comité Colbert (a grouping of exclusive French luxury brands), thereby confirming its position of prominence in the French luxury sector.

1981

When James B. Sherwood undertook the revival of the Venice Simplon Orient-Express, he wished to restore the train’s décor to its superb original condition. He entrusted Gérard Gallet with the interior decoration to reflect the spirit of luxury and distinction of the roaring 20s. Ercuis was asked to design an original range of tableware engraved with the initials VSOE, still in use today aboard the legendary train which has become an enduring symbol of romanticism and adventure.

1986

Following the acquisition of a majority shareholding by the Rouget family, Ercuis became a company with a Board of Directors and Supervisory Board, with Michel Rouget as President. During the 1980s and 1990s, Ercuis consolidated its expertise by acquiring two distinguished French companies in the sector: Ravinet d’Enfert, which had a very wide range of solid silver tableware, and Peter, the luxury cutlery manufacturers, whose flatware in solid silver, semi-precious stones and fine woods provided a perfect complement to Ercuis’ luxury collection.

2002

Its partnership with François Bauchet, designer of the FB7 range of cutlery, followed by Savinel & Roze, for the Mezzo and Palace ranges, placed Ercuis firmly in the modern age, in particular with the addition of stainless steel to the collections. Joël Robuchon chose Mezzo cutlery to equip his renowned L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon restaurants in Paris, London, New York, Las Vegas and Tokyo.

2004

In August a new office was opened at 9, rue Royale in Paris, close to the shop at 8 bis rue Boissy d’Anglas. Ercuis’ new expertise in solid silver was confirmed with the successful launch of L’Insolent flatware in 2005. This cutlery uses sophisticated assembly techniques, similar to those for setting gems in fine jewellery making.

2009

Parisian designer Alberto Pinto’s Paris flatware and holloware collection gave Ercuis the opportunity to reinterpret one of its classics, the Rubans Croisés cutlery design.

2010

Numerous openings of luxury hotels in Paris and throughout the world have established Ercuis’s privileged position in the luxury hotel sector, providing the opportunity to create bespoke designs such as those made for the Royal Monceau Raffles and the Shangri-La Hotel in Paris. Ercuis continues to enjoy the confidence of other luxury hotels, such as the Four Seasons George V in Paris, as it has for decades.

2011

Apostraphe flatware, created by designers Catherine and Bruno Lefebvre for Anne-Sophie Pic, marked Ercuis' first collaboration with a Michelin-starred chef. More than ever, gastronomy provides a major source of inspiration for the silversmith.

2013

Ercuis elevates flatware to a whole new level: the accessory becomes an essential decorative element in its own right, and the prominent feature of every table. Arts Décoratifs is the new flatware collection by Ercuis, its coloured patterns evoking the key trends of French decorative arts. The decoration and colour adorn the cutlery with a new distinctive character; the varied designs draw inspiration from a wide range of sources and the possibilities are endless.

2015

The Italian group Arcturus, whose portfolio includes the Rosenthal and Sambonet brands, acquired Ercuis (French silversmith since 1867) and the Raynaud factory (Limoges porcelain) in 2015, as majority shareholder. This union has consolidated the Arcturus group’s position as world leader in the fine tableware sector and gives these two firms, each well over 100 years old, new development opportunities.

2017

Launch of the Flatware GALERIE.

THE ARTIST-SILVERSMITH TAKES ON COLOUR ! With these two new flatware collections, Grace and Castille, Ercuis demonstrates its exceptional expertise in skilled craftsmanship. By masterfully combining colours and textures, Ercuis innovates and reinvents the traditions of silversmithing. Like a fashion accessory, this cutlery reflects creative freedom and offers an artistic palette that everyone can use in their own way, according to their mood and inclination. INVITE CREATIVITY TO YOUR TABLE.

2018

Ercuis presents a new colourful finish on its solid steel cutlery: the emblematic models of the manufactory is adorned with new reflections Black, Copper, Gold or Champagne.